Classics Monthly - - Products Classic Kit -

I’m think­ing about buy­ing a clas­sic Citroën in France early next year but need to clar­ify the reg­is­tra­tion is­sues so I can im­port the car into the UK with­out any fuss. The deal should hope­fully be com­pleted be­fore any Brexit rule changes kick in but I can’t see how the reg­is­tra­tion process can work to en­sure my new pur­chase is trans­ferred over to my own­er­ship at the time of pur­chase. Ob­vi­ously, the car will need to be le­gally driven in France to the ferry port and then on to my home in Suf­folk.

Any ad­vice at this stage of my re­search would be most wel­come, as I don’t want to end up be­ing pulled over at the port or on my way home and have to ex­plain my ac­tions. Matthew Evans Buy­ing a car in France this side of Brexit shouldn’t present any ma­jor prob­lems. The way it works is that the seller de­clares the car as ex­ported and as long as you take the Carte Gris (log book or V5 equiv­a­lent) with you, there should be no is­sues bring­ing the car into the UK. How­ever, as you are not a French res­i­dent you’ll have to ar­range French in­surance but check first, as some UK in­sur­ers com­pa­nies will in­sure the car on the chas­sis or VIN num­ber un­til you get it reg­is­tered. The only prob­lem is that your aren’t re­ally al­lowed to drive a for­eign reg­is­tered car in this coun­try if you are a UK res­i­dent, so you need to get the car trans­ported from the port to your home if you want to stay le­gal. Ed.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.