PESKY PCV VALVES
As I explained in the Letters pages last issue, I have owned my MGB for more than 46 years – my car is a 1967 MGB Mk1 that was assembled in Australia. You asked about any stories, and I do have a couple which might be helpful to some of your readers, particularly those who do not have a lot of experience with the MGB.
This car is on its second engine. The original unit was replaced in 1984 after what I considered to be a major problem. Symptoms were extremely rough running and huge clouds of exhaust smoke, so I took the car to my local specialist and asked for a replacement reconditioned engine. About a week later I picked up the car. A great engine had been supplied – it is still in the car going strong and has never had the head off. However, I found out some years ago that the problem which led me to believe my original motor was shot was actually caused by a blocked PCV valve. Fortunately, when the same symptoms occurred again on my new engine, I was aware of the problem of faulty PCV valves so I stripped and cleaned mine, replaced the hose between the tappet cover and valve and fitted a new diaphragm – the problem was solved.
Recently, a minor problem with the cooling system occurred. Pressure was building up in the system and some green coolant was being sprayed around the engine compartment. It turned out that the bottom radiator hose was the cause. This was not the original factory item, but a modified rubber version with a moulded spout for the heater hose connection.
It was old but not broken, however, at the bottom end where it connected to the radiator it had a kink in it that was restricting the flow of the coolant.
I worked out that if the original factory arrangement had been left in place, this would not have happened. I decided to return to original specification, and fortunately for me I still had the short metal pipe with the 90° bend in it .This fits into a bottom radiator hose which is identical to the top one. The only other bit you need is a short piece of straight hose to connect the water pump to the top end of the metal pipe. That then solves the problem. I think there is a lesson to be learned from all of this – do not get too excited about doing mods to your car that change original parts or systems before having a good think about it and talking to MG people who know their stuff.