Risk from rubbish
DRIVER ACTS AS CANISTER EXPLODES
A COCKBURN waste truck caught fire when a butane canister exploded after being picked up in Banjup.
A FAST-acting garbage man has potentially saved Cockburn Council $400,000 after he removed burning waste from a dump truck as it went up in flames.
The truck caught fire while collecting rubbish from greentopped bins in Banjup about 8.30am on November 23.
Cockburn’s waste services coordinator Mickey Danilov said a loud explosion at the back of the truck alerted the driver, who was uninjured, to the issue.
“The fire spread very quickly after that,” he said. “Two fire extinguishers were used but were ineffective in treating the fire.
“Waste was then deposited on the side of the road behind the Banjup Volunteer Fire Station and the volunteer fire brigade soaked the waste pile with water.”
It took 30 minutes before the fire was completely extinguished.
The truck received paint damage but was only out of action for two hours.
Damaged signage will cost $2000 to replace.
But that is a drop in the ocean when compared to the $400,000 it would cost for a new vehicle.
Mr Danilov said a butane canister sparked the fire.
A week earlier the City refused to collect a recycling bin because it contained three butane canisters.
“They are becoming very common as people use them in small portable stoves when camping,” Mr Danilov said.
“Canisters have the potential to be very dangerous when not disposed of properly.”
He said full gas canisters can be taken to the Henderson Waste Recovery Park for disposal.
“If a gas canister is completely empty, it can be placed in the recycle bin,” he said
To find other drop off points visit www.recycleright.wa.gov.au.
Waste Collection co-ordinator Mickey Danilov. Ritchie