FACE-2-FACE: Steve McLaughlin
Vice President Sales AU & NZ, Oceania Cruises.
1. What motivates you in your career?
I’m lucky enough to work in an amazing industry and I love what I do. Oceania Cruises is not only a fun place to work, but I truly believe in our product.
2. Most common assumption people make about your job?
That every time I head out with my suitcase that I’m off to do something fun. My job involves a lot of travel that is “all work” – a common assumption is that my position is more glamorous than it actually is.
3. What is the key to building great relationships with agents?
It’s about being genuine and building long-standing relationships.
4. Advice for up-and-comers?
The cruising industry is a sector that is growing in ways that no one could have anticipated - in direction, size and style. The possibilities are endless and there are no limits.
5. Biggest challenge facing the industry?
While we are blessed to have access to Sydney Harbour, one of the most beautiful ports in the world, the infrastructure and capacity constraints in Sydney continue to be an ongoing challenge for our industry.
6. What was your best fam? A transatlantic voyage where we spent a few nights each in New York and London with about 20 agents – a truly unique sailing and group.