TEST YOUR GENERAL KNOWLEDGE
1. The longest river in the Northern Territory is the (a) Queensland (b) Tasmania (c) Victoria?
2. On the TV quiz show Millionaire Hot Seat, the winner of the fastest finger segment receives (a) $10 (b) $100 (c) $1000?
3. Are cerulean and periwinkle shades of blue or red?
4. Which 36-year-old Perth Scorchers and former Test fast bowler recently announced his retirement from all forms of cricket?
5. Which drink is promoted as “permeate-free”?
6. Name the compass point 180 degrees from north-northwest.
7. “And it’s too late, baby now, it’s too late. Though we really did try to make it, somethin’ inside has died and I can’t hide,” are lyrics from which song?
8. Who played Daisy Duke in the 2005 movie The Dukes of Hazzard?
9. What is the term for a boxer who leads with the right hand?
10. Which substance causes bread to rise during the baking process?
11. In his recent autobiography, which former North Queensland Cowboys star told how he spent a night in jail doing pushups on a cold concrete floor to keep warm?
12. Do polar bears live in the northern or southern hemisphere?
13. Beginning with “c”, what is the seven-letter collective term for cats? 14. Is sulphuric acid colourless or green?
15. A $1 Australian postage stamp was recently issued to celebrate which racehorse’s 26th consecutive win?
16. The recent movie Working Class Boy told the story of which Australian rock icon?
17. Wowan is in which Australian state/territory?
18. What is the term for the gaming table device for holding multiple decks of playing cards?
19. At the age of 67 in 1979, which US star became the youngest PGA Tour golfer to shoot his age?
20. Which US gangster hated his nickname “Scarface” and preferred “Snorky”, a name given by his friends, because of his reputation as a snappy dresser?
21. Former Australian prime minister John Gorton was a classmate at Sydney’s Shore School of which Hollywood star?
22. Name the cavalry formed by Oliver Cromwell during the English Civil War.
23. After the Hiroshima, Chernobyl and Fukushima nuclear disasters, fields of which flower were planted to help absorb toxic metals and radiation from the soil?
24. The name of a 1945 Russell Drysdale painting comes from the title of which 1892 Henry Lawson story?
25. In the 1993 movie The Piano, who played mute Scotswoman Ada McGrath who is sold by her father into marriage to a New Zealand frontiersman?