Council prepares to dig deep to secure town’s water supply
WESTERN Downs Regional Council has announced that drilling for a bore to tap into the Great Artesian Basin in Dalby will begin early next year.
Final preparations are being made for the $1 million project, announced in this year’s budget.
The bore will be drilled near the Dalby water treatment plant alongside the Moonie Highway, where previously built infrastructure is located.
Western Downs Regional Council spokesman for utilities, Councillor Peter Saxelby, said the project was about securing Dalby’s future.
“Council wants a reliable and sustainable water supply for Dalby for many years to come,” Cr Saxelby said.
“The new bore will attempt to tap into the Great Artesian Basin, which last happened in Dalby in 1934 when the Eileen St bore was sunk.”
The Eileen St bore was abandoned because Dalby at the time had no way to treat the water.
The Great Artesian Basin is one of the world’s largest and deepest groundwater resources and covers almost a quarter of Australia.
Since the construction of the Eileen St bore another 14 have been drilled in the Dalby region and according Cr Saxelby the new project will be the deepest.
“Council contractors will drill 950 metres into the ground, which is significantly deeper than the bores in use at the Condamine Alluvium which have a depth of around 50-60 metres,” he said.
“Upgrades will also be required to the Dalby water treatment plant to handle the new water supply and set up Dalby for the future.”
Drilling on the new Dalby bore is scheduled to be completed by June 30.