Spate of suspicious blazes
POLICE are investigating the cause of a number of fires that broke out in Montrose this past week amid the bushfires continuing across the state.
A police spokesman said in the early hours of Saturday, 10 spot fires had been lit deliberately over a few hundred metres at the side of Clynes Rd in Montrose, south of Chinchilla.
The spokesman said officers were treating the fires as suspicious.
Firefighters responded to the call about 5am on Saturday.
He said investigations into the cause of the fires were continuing.
Fire crews also responded to another blaze the night before in which an abandoned Montrose home was engulfed in flames and destroyed.
A Queensland Fire and Emergency Services spokeswoman said four crews had attended an unoccupied home on Montrose St after reports about 10.30pm the two-storey property was fully alight.
The fire was brought under control just after midnight and the matter was handed over to police.
A police spokeswoman said it appeared the property had been abandoned for several months and investigations were under way to determine the cause of the blaze.
“At this point it is not known if the fire was deliberate,” the spokeswoman said.
Both fire incidents took place concurrently to the bushfire burning since November 26 near Robbos Rd, Mary Rd, Wains Rd and Chinchilla Tara Rd in Wieambilla.
A local fire ban for residents in the Western Downs region was set in place from November 28 and after the Montrose Rd blaze was rescheduled to expire midnight Tuesday, December 4.
If you have any information about the fires in Montrose, phone Policelink on 131 444.