Firies forced to break down door
Firefighters were forced to break down the door of a Wick St unit in Deniliquin on Saturday morning to tend to reports of a fire.
Police received a call about 9.55am from a neighbour, who originally believed the occupant of the unit was still inside.
Deniliquin Fire & Rescue NSW Deputy Captain Les Booth said they were relieved to discover no-one was in the unit.
Dept Capt Booth said the unit had filled with smoke after cooking was left unattended on the stove. ‘‘It was very lucky. ‘‘When the call came through it was for a unit fire with a person trapped inside, but it turns out the occupant had left the unit and left cooking unattended on the stove.
‘‘It’s a timely reminder to never leave cooking unattended, and certainly not when you leave the house.’’