Deniliquin Pastoral Times

Blighty undecided

-

The Blighty seniors and reserves football teams and C reserves netball team may have played their last games for the season if the decision to negotiate a round 16 ‘‘no game’’ with Tungamah is upheld tomorrow.

All three teams had agreed to forfeits before they were expected to meet last Saturday, but games were cancelled after the announceme­nt of the seven day Victorian lockdown.

Blighty Football and Netball Club secretary Mel Dudley said a decision on what grades would play tomorrow was to be made after the PASTORAL TIMES went to print last night.

‘‘We’re talking to players tonight to make a decision about Saturday,’’ Dudley said yesterday.

The original decision on agreed forfeits for the August 7 round came two days after the Picola and District Football League announced ‘‘Blighty have forfeited C Reserve and Reserves football due to unavailabi­lity, resulting from players being outside the New South Wales border bubble’’.

PDFNL operations manager Shane Railton said it was ‘‘predominan­tly on the back of Murrumbidg­ee being locked out (of the border bubble)’’.

‘‘Due to a large number of our players working or having been to areas that as of recently are now not included in the New South Wales and Victorian border bubbles, and with current restrictio­ns in place we are unable to field both Reserves and C Reserves sides,’’ Blighty Football Netball Club said in last week’s statement.

‘‘In no way would we be struggling to fill sides if the New South Wales and Victorian border bubble, and current restrictio­ns weren’t in place.

‘‘It is unfortunat­e that we are unable to field these two sides, however in the current COVID climate our decision was in the best interest of our club and communitie­s governed by restrictio­ns in place.’’

The Blighty seniors are last on the PDFL ladder, while Tungamah are third.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia