10 THINGS TO LOOK FOR IN 2019
1. A Gay Brexit Musical! Written by former Bloc Party singer Kele Okereke and gay scribe Matt Jones (Queer As Folk, Doctor Who, Torchwood), Leave To Remain is a musical set during a gay marriage in the time of Brexit. Debuting in London in January, this could become theatre’s next Hamilton.
2. Adele Will Release 30… Or Possibly 40! Adele’s albums are named after her age on release. Her fourth album is scheduled for 2019 though, on past form, this could quite easily end up being any number between 30 and 40! Motherhood will do that. Don’t expect anything more radical than blisteringly hurt love songs.
3. Mariah’s Not Just For Christmas! At the tail end of 2018, and some four years after her last album, Mariah dropped Caution to the, er, wind. The good news is it showed MC can put some of her recent poor form behind her and get back to doing classy power ballads and sassy R&B. She’s is, of course, still batshit bonkers!
4. The Return Of One Direction’s Bad Boy! Zayn’s new album has long been in the can, apparently, so 2019 should finally see the return of the former One Direction bad boy. His record boss has already struck the right note, declaring Zayn’s second album will have “a more optimistic tone”.
5. Avatar Tours! The ABBA avatar tour (where holograms are projected on stage next to a live band) is due to kick off in 2019. Amy Winehouse’s dad has signed off on an avatar tour, too. Knowing Amy’s dad, this may not be the good thing.
6. Australia Gets Eurovision Choice! Every other country in the grand dame of musical shows get to select their fave tune to represent them. Except Australia, which has it done for them. 2019 sees that change with a national final to select the winning act. Could 2019 finally see Australia win Eurovision?
7. The Freddie Mercury Revival Continues! With Bohemian Rhapsody, the movie, telling the story behind Queen and lead singer Freddie Mercury, expect the groundswell of interest in their music to continue. Figure in the DVD release in the first half of 2019, plus the fab Adam Lambert leading the surviving members of Queen for live shows.
8. Pansexual Becomes The New Norm! Hot on the heels of Panic! At the Disco frontman Brendon Urie coming out as “pansexual” we’re hoping this leads to a flurry of other hot, formerly straight(ish) dudes feeling the need to get in touch with their gay side. We’re more than happy to give them a hand. Obvs.
9. Forget Circuit, XCLSIOR and Madrid Pride – It’s Gay Glastonbury! Who needs another gay circuit party when 2019 sees the return of the world’s muddiest music festival with its brazen, smutty, queer spaces? First round tix sold out (without even announcing the line-up!) but expect plenty of big names. If that doesn’t rock your Wellington boots, head to Glasto’s swampy gay tent.
10. A Proper New Dua Lipa Album! Our fave new diva repackaged her debut album twice so, grrl, it’s time for some real new material.
Bad boy: Zayn Malik.
New Rules: Dua Lipa
Pansexual: Brendon Urie.