Hoax strawberry call just poor taste
A hoax caller rang both Dubbo Woolworths supermarkets last week about contaminating their strawberries but nothing came of what appears to have been a prank in very poor taste.
Woolworths Orana Mall Dubbo store manager Adam Morrissey is saddened that anyone would think it a funny joke, given the impact the needle scare that’s been in the national headlines in recent weeks has on people’s daily lives.
Consumers are concerned for their safety, the industry is in turmoil and, locally, the shelves are not stocked with the usual high season quantity.
“Impact on farmers is terrible, so we’re encouraging customers to keep buying strawberries. We have signs up in store showing which brands have been affected but we’re not selling those,” Mr Morrissey told Dubbo Photo News.
“Obviously customers have had a lot of questions and there is concern and a loss of confidence. Thankfully though our store has not been affected or actually targeted and we’re doing what we can to support consumers,” he said.
A customer notice next to punnets of strawberries on sale reads: “Queensland Health has advised that it is still safe to purchase and consume strawberries, but continues to advise customers to cut all strawberries before eating them.”
Mr Morrissey said, “We’re holding taste testing in store as well which will probably be ongoing, to increase customer confidence. The strawberries will be cut open so the customers are assured they’re safe to eat.”
On Wednesday night, September 19, Woolworths removed sewing needles from their shelves nationwide which includes the Dubbo stores.
Woolworths Orana Mall Dubbo store manager Adam Morrissey says the store is holding regular taste testing where strawberries are being cut, to restore customer confidence. They do not carry brands revealed to be contaminated.