Crews battle three blazes
Residents grab hoses, buckets to combat fires
FIREFIGHTERS were forced to battle three blazes in as many hours in Hervey Bay.
If not for the quick actions of Golden Shores residents yesterday, part of the Fraser Coast nursing home could have been engulfed in fire.
Several retirees were forced to combat the blaze that broke out near the retirement village’s eastern perimeter about noon yesterday, until Queensland Fire and Emergency Services arrived at 12.30pm..
Patti-Sue Rutherford, who lives in one of the units in the complex, said if she wasn’t home at the time, her place would have been up in flames.
“Every available hose was being used to fight the fire,” Ms Rutherford told the Chronicle.
“I’m just glad I was home at the time.”
Embers from the fire singed Ms Rutherford’s lawn when the wind picked up.
Two crews from the Rural and Urban Fire Brigades arrived about 12.30pm, accompanied by police and paramedics. The fire was brought under control about 1pm.
Police said they were not treating the fire as suspicious at the moment.
The event came as a shock to residents Brian Taylor and Anne Southgate. They were about to eat their lunch when they saw smoke billowing from the nearby bush.
“The embers were blowing right into the roof, and we were wondering whether to spray the fire or the house,” Mr Taylor said.
“We grabbed the hose and tried to control it, and everyone started grabbing buckets and helping out.”
The village was not evacuated at the time.
About 3pm in Urangan, a greenhouse burst into flames at the back of Southerden St property. Once again members of the public stepped up to fight the blaze with garden hoses before two fire crews arrived.
A resident of Southerden St told the Chronicle she had rushed to her neighbour’s home with her garden hose as she was worried overgrown grass on the vacant block next to the greenhouse would spread the fire.
“I have been worried about the length of the grass for some time,” she said.
“I was scared it would spread
‘‘ EVERY AVAILABLE HOSE WAS BEING USED TO FIGHT THE FIRE. I’M JUST GLAD I WAS HOME AT THE TIME.
PATTI RUTHERFORD, GOLDEN SHORES RESIDENT
to nearby homes but the firefighters have done a great job.”
During that time, one crew was called away to help with a scrub fire that broke out at the mobility corridor next to Barnstaple St, Torquay. Five firefighters had it under control by 3.20pm
UP IN FLAMES: Firefighters put out a blaze in a greenhouse behind a residence on Southerden St, Torquay.
Resident Patti-Sue Rutherford in front of her house in the village shows where embers burnt the lawn.
Firefighters battle a blaze in bushland between Barnstaple St and the mobility corridor in Torquay.