Warning over teething jewellery
have been warned to keep babies away from teething necklaces and bracelets after a tot was strangled.
The trinkets, used for babies with teething pain and as sensory toys for kids with autism or ADHD, have been linked to several injuries and even death.
The Food and Drug Administration reports that an 18month-old boy was strangled to death by a teething necklace during a nap.
Babies start teething about four to six months of age. It’s a painful process, and often nippers become unsettled, teary and start chewing on objects during this time as their gnashers push through.
The teething jewellery was seen as a solution as the baby can wear it all the time, and always have it at hand to gnaw on. Manufacturers say the resin in them also helps soothe the inflammation and ease the pain. But the FDA, a US-based agency, urged: “We’re con-PARENTS cerned about the risks we’ve observed with these products and want parents to be aware that teething jewellery puts children, including those with special needs, at risk of serious injury and death.
“Consumers should consider following the American Academy of Pediatrics’ recommendations of alternative ways for treating teething pain, such as rubbing inflamed gums with a clean finger or using a teething ring made of firm rubber.”
It says risks include choking, strangulation, injury to the mouth and infection.
The FDA adds that it has “not evaluated these claims for safety or effectiveness and recommends parents not use these products”.
SAFETY RISK: Experts have warned parents not to use teething necklaces.