Waste jobs ‘safe’
NO current employees will be affected by an impending decision to change rubbish disposal contractors, according to the City of Fremantle.
The statement comes after the union for West Australian municipal employees submitted an application to the Fair Work Commission claiming the City avoided its obligation to consult the in-house waste team about proposed changes.
The union and City were scheduled to meet yesterday to discuss the application.
During last week’s finance, policy, operations and legislation committee meeting, a proposal was passed to change the waste service contractor for the FOGO implementation to Cleanaway, with the final decision to be made by the council on November 28.
Currently the green lid bins are collected by the City and Cleanaway collects yellow lid bins.
In a letter to the Fremantle Mayor and councillors, union secretary Andrew Johnson said the first time that either they or the members employed by the council in these services were aware of the proposition was the day before it went to committee.
“There are approximately 11 employees (permanent and long-term labour hire) who will be affected by the decision if it should proceed. Common decency and humanity should have seen this proposal raised months ago,” he said.
City of Fremantle infrastructure and project delivery director Graham Tattersall said the change was not expected to have an adverse impact on workers.
“Moving to a three-bin FOGO system is a significant service increase and is beyond the capacity of our current waste services team and asset base,” he said.
“No position in our waste services team currently held by a City of Fremantle employee will be lost as a result of the proposed contracting out of the new residential three-bin FOGO collection service.
“The decision to accommodate the new service by engaging one contractor... will result in better co-ordination and efficiency.”