Heart of the Mulgowie community
SET against the magnificent backdrop of the Great Dividing Range, the Mulgowie Hotel, affectionately known as the Mulga Pub, has been the heart of the valley’s community for more than 100 years.
Original selectors Phillip McGrath and the Hunter brothers have played a huge part in the development of the district.
The fertile valley, first recorded by Allan Cunningham in 1828, became part of the 150,000 acres of JP Robinson’s Franklyn Vale run in the 1840s.
Opened for selection in the 1860s, Phillip McGrath, Robert and Alexander Hunter made the valley their home and to this day their descendants still work the land of those original selections.
The district was originally called Burnside after Alexander Hunter’s property, which can still be identified by a majestic avenue of silky oaks that led to the homestead.
His brother Robert had called his property Mountain View and it is from here that the valley acquired its name Mulgowie, which in the local Aboriginal dialect means mountain view.
Phillip McGrath was the man responsible for establishing the village of Mulgowie, which consisted of a blacksmith, a store, the hotel, a butcher, the school, the community hall and recreation grounds.
Bill and BobWilson built the hotel and adjacent store for Phillip in 1896.
It was known as the Burnside Hotel and was a popular spot for teamsters to stop and refresh their teams of bullocks on the return journey from Laidley.
When the railway came to the valley in 1911, the name was changed from Burnside to Mulgowie to avoid confusion with another rail district of the same name.
In the 1990s publican Aggie Pedersen renamed the hotel Mulgowie Hotel.
The hotel is best known outside the small farming community for the Mulga Bull Ride.
Joe and Mick Foxlee established the ride 15 years ago and it just gets bigger each year.
A huge adrenalin-packed event, the latest bull ride attracted about 1000 people to take in the action.
The Mulga is also the focus for the Mulgowie Social Club, which organises trips to the Gatton Races and the Christmas Country Carnival.
A big drawcard, the Mulgowie Farmers’ Market, is held on the first Saturday morning of each month and is jam-packed with fresh local produce and handmade items.
Established during the 1950s, the Mulgowie Gift is a big day for the valley and, though there is some serious running done, the day finishes off with an egg and spoon race and potato sack race.
Each September the Flight Centre Epic Mountain Bike Ride draws more than 1000 riders to tackle the gruelling task.
The hotel is also the main venue for a folk festival held in March, with live music and impromptu jams happening over the weekend.
Camping is available at the nearby recreational grounds and the hotel has two cabins for let.
The Mulgowie Hotel sits directly opposite the staging ground used for the Mitsubishi Electric Lockyer Valley 300 and hosts the event and Australian Off Road Championship presentations.
Pioneers in the valley, the Emmerson family, bought the pub 10 years ago and Simon and wife Cherie Emmerson have been running it for the past three.
Counter lunches and dinners are served and, of course, icy cold beers and a selection of wines.
There is a jackpot raffle held each Friday night but you have to be there to claim the prize.
Known for its country hospitality and service with a smile, the shady veranda is a perfect spot to have a bite to eat and sink a few coldies while taking in the quiet ambience of the beautiful Mulgowie Valley.
It is just a great old style country pub that hasn’t changed much in the past 117 years.
GREAT PUB: The Mulgowie Hotel, a great bush pub, is a focus point for the Mulgowie community.