Per­mits re­quired for burns

Safety vi­tal for any type of burn­ing

Gatton Star - - NEWS -

KNOW­ING when you are al­lowed and not al­lowed to burn can be chal­leng­ing but Ru­ral Fire Ser­vice Queens­land has made it eas­ier.

Any­one want­ing to burn is re­quired to ob­tain an ap­pli­ca­tion for a Per­mit to Light Fire through their lo­cal fire war­den.

Con­tact de­tails for fire war­dens are avail­able through the Fire War­den Finder at­ral­fire.

Fol­low­ing re­ceipt of your ap­pli­ca­tion the fire war­den may im­pose con­di­tions on a per­mit to re­duce un­wanted risk or nui­sance to other peo­ple, prop­erty or to the en­vi­ron­ment.

The fire war­den may refuse to is­sue a per­mit if they be­lieve that ap­pro­pri­ate safety mea­sures can­not be rea­son­ably achieved.

A no­ti­fi­ca­tion is­sued un­der the Fire and Emer­gency Ser­vices Act 1990 does al­low cer­tain fires to be lit without the need to ob­tain a per­mit, ex­cept if the fires are not per­mit­ted un­der a lo­cal law or other leg­is­la­tion.

If there is a lo­cal law in your lo­cal gov­ern­ment area pro­hibit­ing the light­ing of fires, a per­mit will not be is­sued by the fire war­den un­less you have ob­tained the writ­ten per­mis­sion of the lo­cal gov­ern­ment.

Pro­vided ad­e­quate pre­cau­tions are taken to pre­vent the spread of fire, the fol­low­ing fires may be lit without a per­mit ex­cept where such fires are not al­lowed un­der a lo­cal law for a part or all of a lo­cal gov­ern­ment area:

■ A fire in which nei­ther the height, width nor length of the ma­te­rial to be con­sumed ex­ceeds 2m

■ A fire lit outdoors for the pur­pose of cook­ing and warmth, if en­closed in a fire­place so con­structed as to pre­vent the es­cape of fire or any burn­ing ma­te­rial there from

■ A fire lit for the pur­pose of burn­ing the car­cass of a beast

■ A fire lit at a sawmill for the pur­pose of burn­ing saw­dust or other residue re­sult­ing from the op­er­a­tion of a sawmill

■ A cane fire may also be sub­ject to a no­ti­fi­ca­tion and may be lit un­der cer­tain con­di­tions.

If you are un­cer­tain whether the above sit­u­a­tions ap­ply to you and whether you need a per­mit or not, please con­tact your lo­cal fire war­den for fur­ther clar­i­fi­ca­tion. own­ers/oc­cu­piers of the land ad­join­ing the prop­erty where you wish to light a fire and ad­vise them of your in­ten­tion to ap­ply for a per­mit – 72 hours’ no­ti­fi­ca­tion may be seen as a rea­son­able amount of time in pop­u­lated ar­eas, how­ever this time frame may not be ap­pro­pri­ate in ru­ral pri­mary pro­duc­tion ar­eas. The time frame is at the dis­cre­tion of the fire war­den.

Record the time you con­tacted them on the ap­pli­ca­tion form and also note if they have or have not ob­jected. If the neigh­bours do have an ob­jec­tion, they should con­tact the lo­cal fire war­den.

If you can­not con­tact the own­ers/ oc­cu­piers, note this in the ap­pli­ca­tion form.

Step 4: Com­plete both sides of the ap­pli­ca­tion form. There are ex­plana­tory notes avail­able should you re­quire as­sis­tance with com­plet­ing the form.

Step 5: Con­tact your lo­cal fire war­den to sub­mit your ap­pli­ca­tion.


PLAN AHEAD: Burn­ing off can be con­ducted with a burn­ing per­mit from your lo­cal fire war­den.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.