Shift worker snaps

Fine for punch­ing neigh­bour over noisy toy car

Geelong Advertiser - - TAKE TWO - KAREN MATTHEWS

A WEARY night­shift worker has been fined for punch­ing a neigh­bour in the head, af­ter the man ig­nored re­peated pleas to stop oper­at­ing a noisy re­mote-con­trol car in the street.

Gee­long Mag­is­trates’ Court heard John We­ber ap­proached the vic­tim and asked him to stop but ‘‘lost it’’ when the vic­tim told him to ‘‘f--- off!’’

We­ber, 44, of Tallinn St, Bell Park, pleaded guilty yester- day to a sin­gle charge of reck­lessly caus­ing in­jury.

The po­lice pros­e­cu­tor, lead­ing Sen- Con­sta­ble Ker­rie Moroney, said that on May 6, the vic­tim was oper­at­ing his re­mote- con­trol car in the street near We­ber’s house.

She said We­ber went out and told him to stop, to which the vic­tim replied, ‘‘F--k off, it’s af­ter 10am’’.

‘‘The ac­cused then struck the vic­tim to the head with a closed fist, knock­ing him to the ground,’’ she said.

‘‘When in­ter­viewed, We­ber made full ad­mis­sions to the as­sault and was ex­tremely re­morse­ful.

‘‘ He told po­lice, ‘ I’d had enough. I shouldn’t have hit him’.’’

Ger­ard Healy, for We­ber, said it was his client’s first time in court, that he was oth­er­wise law- abid­ing and got on well with the re­main­der of his neigh­bours.

‘ ‘ This wasn’t j ust any re­mote- con­trol car,’’ Mr Healy said.

‘‘ It was two- thirds of a me­tre in height, petrol- pow­ered and made a con­tin­ual, loud, high-pitched, whin­ing noise.

‘‘My client had pre­vi­ously given the vic­tim a list of other places where he could op­er­ate the car with­out both­er­ing any­one, but he ig­nored that.’’

Mr Healy said that on this oc­ca­sion, We­ber had ar­rived home from night­shift in Mel­bourne and went to bed about 9.30am.

‘‘He is then wo­ken by this guy at 11am,’’ Mr Healy said.

‘‘He tells me that af­ter he punched the vic­tim, he went to help him up, but the vic­tim lunged at my client with a screw­driver, so We­ber backed off.’’

Mr Healy said other neigh­bours in the street had also been up­set by the noisy re­mote-con­trol car, with some sup­ply­ing let­ters of sup­port to We­ber in court yes­ter­day.

‘‘ This fel­low has since moved out of the street and no one knows where he has gone,’’ Mr Healy said.

Mag­is­trate Stephen Myall con­victed We­ber and fined him $1000.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.