WHAT OTHER PROB­LEMS ARE SUG­GESTED, THAT HAVE NO PROOF OR UNTRUE?

Great Health Guide - - TONGUE TIE AND A CHILD’S DEVELOPMENT : PART 1 -

This is a very long list of other sug­ges­tions that are in­cor­rectly linked to tongue tie. They in­clude: re­flux, sleep ap­noea, large ton­sils, mouth breath­ing, snor­ing, pos­tural prob­lems, sco­l­io­sis, gut prob­lems, con­sti­pa­tion, di­ar­rhoea, colic and the list goes on and on. Un­less you have a med­i­cal back­ground, it is easy to get swept up in the frenzy of sug­ges­tions that peo­ple pro­pose that have noth­ing to do with tongue tie.

HOW AND WHEN TO COR­RECT TONGUE TIE?

In ba­bies, where there are feed­ing prob­lems and a lac­ta­tion con­sul­tant can find no other prob­lem other than a teth­ered tongue, then that is a rea­son­able in­ter­ven­tion and the sooner the bet­ter. How­ever, only 80-90% of the time will such in­ter­ven­tion help. In fact, the re­search shows that only 20% of breast feed­ing prob­lems are due to tongue ties. The other 80% re­late com­pletely to other fac­tors, so it is im­por­tant to ac­cess lac­ta­tion sup­port. In the fol­low­ing ar­ti­cle, in this is­sue of Great Health GuideTM, Tongue Tie

Surgery for Chil­dren: Part 2, out­lines what pro­ce­dures and which spe­cial­ists to se­lect with con­fi­dence to treat this con­di­tion.

Dr David McIntosh is a Pae­di­atric ENT Spe­cial­ist with a par­tic­u­lar in­ter­est in air­way ob­struc­tion, fa­cial and den­tal devel­op­ment and its re­la­tion­ship to ENT air­way prob­lems and mid­dle ear dis­ease. He also spe­cialises in si­nus dis­ease and pro­vides opin­ions on the ben­e­fit of re­vi­sion of pre­vi­ous si­nus op­er­a­tions. Dr McIntosh can be con­tacted via web­site.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.