Speed trial to go ahead
CITY of Vincent councillors have given the green light to a two-year 40km/h speed zone trial in the southern half of the City.
Residential streets bound by Charles Street, Vincent Street, Walcott Street, Guildford Road, Stanley Street, Mitchell Street and Newcastle Street will have new signage installed early next year.
The decision was made unanimously by councillors at their October 16 meeting.
Mayor Emma Cole said there had been growing concerns from locals about speeding on residential streets and the council looked forward to working with the Office of Road Safety on an evidencebased trial.
“This isn’t something we’ve plucked out of the sky. We’ve been discussing it for two years,” she said.
Cr Jonathan Hallett said councillors were aware of some resistance to the change.
“It shows us what streets can be beyond conduits for cars,” he said.
Cr Roslyn Harley said she thought other councils would thank Vincent for leading the study.
“I think this is pushing the envelope in a way Vincent is well known for,” she said.
She flagged potential rat-running as an issue, which had also been raised in community submissions.
City officers said any issues would be able to be raised with administration.
Other comments included that there was no problem with the current speeds, there were enough traffic calming measures already and the trial should be extended beyond the south of Vincent.
In June, traffic engineering expert Bruce Corben implored Vincent to push further, saying 40km/h was a step in the right direction, but communities and council leaders should be demanding 30km/h.
Ms Cole said the council was progressive but pragmatic and understood there were divergent views over speed limits.
“I think it’s good we can take this stepped approach,” she said.