Sarah Mari­nos

Herald Sun - Property - - FRONT PAGE -

Who con­nects the es­sen­tials when you make the move into a new house? Whether you’re mov­ing into a newly-built house or apart­ment or to an es­tab­lished prop­erty in the city or sub­urbs, seam­less con­nec­tions to util­i­ties and the in­ter­net make life more com­fort­able and con­ve­nient. So, what steps do you need to take? If your new home is al­ready con­nected to elec­tric­ity and gas, all you need to do is con­tact your cho­sen util­ity provider to set up a new con­tract and ac­count.

It’s worth shopping around to find a provider who can of­fer you the ser­vice you need at the best pos­si­ble rates.

The state gov­ern­ment’s in­de­pen­dent en­ergy price com­par­i­son tool — Vic­to­rian En­ergy Com­pare — is a good place to start.

You need a re­cent en­ergy bill or smart me­ter data file to com­pare elec­tric­ity or gas of­fers to find the provider with the best deal.

Sim­i­larly, if you are mov­ing into a new home and want to con­nect your fixed phone, broad­band, TV and mo­bile ser­vices, most ma­jor com­pa­nies have ded­i­cated cus­tomer ser­vice ad­vis­ers who can help with the tran­si­tion.

Most need two to three weeks’ no­tice to help re­lo­cate your ser­vices.

If you are join­ing the NBN, your provider may need to in­stall some new hard­ware at your new home and you may also need a new mo­dem.

For more in­for­ma­tion: com­ en­er­gy­

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.