Herald Sun

Smart meters ‘safer than a microwave’

- KAREN COLLIER

ELECTROMAG­NETIC radiation emitted from electricit­y smart meters is “significan­tly below” safe exposure limits, an independen­t audit has found.

Energy Minister Lily D’Ambrosio said the latest study “again confirms that electromag­netic signals from smart meters are lower than those from ... a baby monitor, microwave or mobile phone”.

The $200,000 technical report was commission­ed by the previous government amid claims the meters had made hundreds of Victorians sick.

Total Radiation Solutions measured radiofrequ­ency electromag­netic energy levels at 55 properties from October to February, including homes where residents had reported health issues.

Maximum exposure inside homes over a six-minute peri- od ranged from .0000001 per cent to 0.009 per cent of the national exposure limit.

Highest levels outside homes were .000005 per cent to 0.5 per cent of the limit.

“Levels from the smart meters surveyed were significan­tly below the general public exposure limits specified by the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency protection standard,” the results concluded.

But Stop Smart Meters Australia spokeswoma­n Janobai Smith said the tests were inadequate. A thorough health investigat­ion was needed, she said. More than 300 people had complained of insomnia, headaches and other issues.

“They are only looking at whether it meets the Australian standard. They are refusing to look at what is actually happening to people to see if there is a link,” Ms Smith said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia