Pretty in blue Serve up love with our divine dishes for a Mother’s Day celebration to remember
TREAT YOUR MUM TO A DELICIOUS SAVOURY AND SWEET MENU FOR A CELEBRATORY MOTHER’S DAY LUNCH TO REMEMBER
FOR SOMETHING A LITTLE BIT SPECIAL, SERVE COCKTAILS ON A SILVER TRAY
WATERMELON & MINT CHAMPAGNE COCKTAIL Makes 1
Half fill a Champagne flute with rosé sparkling wine. Top with 2 ice cubes and 3 torn mint leaves. Add 2 teaspoons of lime juice, 1 tablespoon of peach schnapps and 2 tablespoons of fresh watermelon juice. Use a swizzle stick to combine. Top with more sparkling wine if necessary.
PLOUGHMAN’S SCONES Makes 20
2 cups self-raising flour, plus extra
½ tsp salt
50g chilled butter, chopped, plus
extra for greasing
¾ cup (90g) grated parmesan ¾ cup milk, plus extra to glaze
¼ cup chutney or mustard
of choice (see tip)
200g shaved leg ham
200g vintage cheddar or gruyere,
Lemon thyme sprigs, to garnish
Cornichons, to serve
1. To make scones, preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 24cm round springform pan with butter.
2. Sift flour and salt into a large bowl. Rub in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in ½ cup of the parmesan. Make a well in the centre. Add milk and stir to form a dough.
3. Knead on a floured surface until smooth. Press dough out until 2.5cm thick. Use a 4cm round cutter to cut out rounds. Re-roll and press out scraps to continue cutting out more scones. Place scones, touching each other in prepared pan. Brush the tops with extra milk and sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until risen and golden on top. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before turning out of pan to cool.
5. To serve, split scones. Spread bases with chutney, top with ham and cheese. Replace tops. Garnish with thyme. Serve with cornichons.
TIP: We used tomato chutney but you can use any flavoured chutney, relish, wholegrain or hot English mustard.
THIS PAGE, FROM LEFT: For similar vase, try Amalfi ‘Anouk’ vase, $54.95, Zanui. ‘Suki’ board (under vase) in Camel/Rose, $49.95, Nordic Fusion. For similar tray, try Whitehill rectangular tray, $49.95, David Jones. ‘Globe’ champagne flutes, $119/set of 2, Wedgwood. For similar glasses, try Pasabache ‘Boston’ shot glasses, $12/set of 6, Temple & Webster. Iittala ‘Aalto’ 7.5cm bowl in Sea Blue, $39.95, Nordic Fusion.