FENNEL, CORIANDER SEED & GREEN CHILLI MARINATED CHICKEN WITH SLAW
2 tsp coriander seeds
2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp caraway seeds
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp finely grated ginger 1 green chilli, seeded, finely chopped
¼ cup Italian parsley leaves ¼ cup olive oil, plus extra for cooking
12 (2kg) chicken thigh fillets, trimmed Slaw
2 baby fennel, ends trimmed, halved
1 baby cos lettuce heart, thickly sliced
1 red apple
1 lemon, halved
⅓ cup thinly sliced chives
¼ cup pomegranate arils ⅓ cup whole egg mayonnaise
1 tsp Dijon mustard
¼ cup water
1. Put coriander, fennel and caraway seeds in a small frying pan over a low heat and toast until aromatic. Finely grind spices using a mortar and pestle. Place spices, garlic, ginger, chilli, parsley and oil in a high-speed blender. Season well. Process until smooth.
2. Combine chicken and marinade in a large bowl. Massage the marinade through the chicken until coated evenly. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for 1 hour.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of extra oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add half of the chicken. Cook for 8-10 minutes each side or until lightly brown and cooked through. Remove and cover loosely with foil for 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining chicken.
4. To make the slaw, shave fennel on a mandolin or with a vegetable peeler. Place fennel and lettuce in a bowl of iced water while chicken is marinating and sit in the fridge. When ready to serve, drain fennel and lettuce. Use a julienne slicer or shredder to cut apple into matchsticks then squeeze half a lemon over apple.
5. Combine fennel, lettuce, apple, chives and pomegranate in a large bowl. Place mayonnaise, mustard and water in a jar, squeeze remaining half a lemon into jar and shake until smooth.
6. Serve chicken alongside salad on a platter. Drizzle slaw with mayonnaise dressing.
1. To make chocolate almond custard, heat milk and vanilla in a large saucepan until it comes to a simmer. Place the yolks, eggs, sugar, cocoa and cornflour in a large heatproof bowl and whisk until smooth.
2. Gently pour some of the hot milk onto egg mixture and continually whisk until smooth. Continue gradually adding milk until it is all incorporated and smooth. Pour back into saucepan and place over a low heat. Whisk frequently for about 8 minutes or until very thick. Remove from the heat. Stand for 5 minutes.
3. Add chocolate and butter and whisk until melted. Pour into a clean bowl. Cool for 30 minutes. Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
4. To make chocolate and almond pastry, put flour, almonds, cocoa, icing sugar mixture and butter in the bowl of a food processor and process until mixture forms breadcrumbs. Add water and egg yolk, then process until mixture forms a ball. Knead lightly on a surface dusted in cocoa until smooth. Flatten pastry and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. Roll pastry out between two sheets of baking paper until 7mm thick and 30-32cm wide. Remove paper and lift pastry into a greased 25.5 x 3.5cm deep flan pan and allow to loosely fan roughly the way it falls around the sides. Press into base. Freeze for 20 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line pastry case with baking paper. Fill the base with baking blind beans or uncooked rice and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 180°C, remove paper and beans and bake for a further about 15-20 minutes or until crisp. Remove and allow to cool completely in tin.
7. To serve, remove chocolate shell from the tin and place on a serving plate. Stir custard until smooth. Spread in base. Dust edges of pastry and custard with extra cocoa. Halve strawberries and cut fig into thin wedges. Arrange strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and fig on top. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with whipped cream.