At­tack caused by ‘drug-in­duced psy­chosis’

Kwinana Courier - - NEWS -

A MAN who ran­domly at­tacked a door-to-door sales­man in the street by punch­ing him to the head – and who later ripped stitches from his own chest – was in a drug-in­duced psy­chosis at the time.

Christo­pher Tsagaris ap­peared via video from Hakea pri­son at Rock­ing­ham Mag­is­trates Court for sen­tenc­ing on Septem­ber 21.

He had ear­lier pleaded guilty to as­sault oc­ca­sion­ing bod­ily harm, as­sault­ing a pub­lic of­fi­cer and com­mon as­sault.

The pros­e­cu­tor said the in­ci­dent hap­pened on Au­gust 23 along Dal­rym­ple Drive in Leda.

Tsagaris ap­proached a sales­man in the street, then started talk­ing to him be­fore he sud­denly punched him to the face three times.

The vic­tim ran away and was chased by Tsagaris for 270m be­fore Tsagaris caught up with the vic­tim.

He then struck the vic­tim to his face with a mo­bile phone. The vic­tim suf­fered pain to his face and dizzi­ness.

Tsagaris was then seen run­ning to a nearby house by wit­nesses be­fore po­lice were called to help the vic­tim.

The pros­e­cu­tor said po­lice found Tsagaris try­ing to jump a fence.

“Of­fi­cers took him to ground and tried to hand­cuff him be­fore he kicked out twice, strik­ing the of­fi­cer to his head,” she said.

She said Tsagaris had a lac­er­a­tion on his chest from a self-in­flicted wound that had ear­lier been stitched at the hos­pi­tal.

“He was even­tu­ally hand­cuffed and later de­manded a cig­a­rette but was re­fused,” the pros­e­cu­tor said. “He then put his fin­gers to his chest and tore open the re­cently stitched wound.”

Tsagaris’s lawyer said Tsagaris was in a drug-in­duced psy­chosis at the time.

“He is em­bar­rassed by the of­fend­ing; he was on steroids, al­co­hol and meth at the time,” he said.

“He can’t re­ally re­mem­ber the in­ci­dent. He used meth for arthri­tis in his back; he needs help, he has os­teoarthri­tis and a back in­jury.”

Mag­is­trate Leanne Atkins said Tsagaris had a record of pre­vi­ous as­saults.

Tsagaris was sen­tenced to an 18-month in­ten­sive su­per­vi­sion or­der with 120 hours of com­mu­nity ser­vice work and a sev­en­month im­pris­on­ment or­der, sus­pended for 12 months. He had been re­manded in cus­tody for the of­fences since Au­gust 24.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.