Kyabram Free Press

Ky’s Tarax Bar Looking Back

- — Compiled by Eileen Sullivan, voluntary librarian, Kyabram Historical Society.

The Tarax Bar in Allan St, Kyabram, was one of a chain of cafe´ s believed to be establishe­d the 1930s.

Tarax Bars were well known in Victoria and were also located in Echuca and Shepparton.

George Pethard Senior founded the herbal soft drink business ‘Tarax’ in Numurkah in 1898. He moved to Bendigo in 1902 and establishe­d the business behind his home ‘Taraxville’ in Golden Square.

Ale was the first Tarax soft drink he marketed.

The name ‘ Tarax’ came from ‘Taraxicum’, the Latin name for the dandelion.

George Pethard Junior establishe­d a number of businesses over the years, including the revival of the Tarax Soft Drink firm in the 1930s. He was elected mayor of Bendigo in 1940, 1947 and 1951 and became chairman of Tarax Drinks Holdings in 1958.

The Kyabram Tarax Bar was situated on the east side of the laneway near the Commercial Hotel. It had concertina doors that opened up the whole front of the cafe´ to the street. This frontage appeared to be a feature of most Tarax Bars.

Over the top of the cafe is written ‘‘STOP. KYABRAM TARAX BAR. For the coldest drink in Kyabram.’’

The building is part of the Kyabram Leading Appliances Store on Allan St.

 ??  ?? Tarax Bar in Kyabram (circa 1946-47). The Commercial Hotel is the building on the left of the laneway.
Tarax Bar in Kyabram (circa 1946-47). The Commercial Hotel is the building on the left of the laneway.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia