Kyabram Free Press
Hazelman Cottage, at Kyabram Fauna Park Reserve, was originally situated one mile north east of Mt Scobie.
The two-room cottage erected in 1867 was the home of Theodore Hazelman and family.
A number of years later the building was extended by two mud-brick rooms and verandahs to accommodate the growing family.
The Hazelman property was purchased in 1965 by Mr R Steddar.
The removal of the cottage to the Fauna Park, and its restoration for use as a museum became a major project of Kyabram Historical Society in 1978. This was made possible initially by the generous donation of the cottage by Mr Steddar, the encouragement of the Fauna Park trustees, interest and financial backing by Kyabram Rotary Club, donation of materials by local residents and voluntary work by members of Kyabram Historical Society and others.
Later a government grant enabled further restoration works.
Prior to restoration, the old chimney was demolished, the front verandah and the lean-to and back rooms were dismantled, leaving the main two rooms intact as one unit.
This was strutted and made safe for removal and then transported by truck.
It was transported to
its new location at the Fauna Park in the early hours of February 18, 1979. The complex was officially opened on October 10, 1982.
The surrounds of Hazelman Cottage in the Fauna Park has grown over years. As well as the cottage, there is a machinery shed, Transport Through Time building, blacksmith shop, a windmill, outside toilet (not for public use), chock and log fences, to name a few. It is maintained by voluntary members of Kyabram Historical Society.
— Compiled by Eileen Sullivan,
voluntary librarian Kyabram Historical Society.