1. In which decade did Australia’s population pass 10 million (a) 1950s (b) 1970s (c) 1990s?
2. A formal request for a second referendum on independence from the United Kingdom was recently made by (a) Northern Ireland (b) Scotland (c) Wales?
3. In which state was Australia’s lowest temperature recorded (a) New South Wales (b) Queensland (c) Western Australia?
4. The last Melbourne Cup run over two miles took place in (a) 1971 (b) 1991 (c) 2011?
5. Malcolm Turnbull recently announced which temporary work visa would be abolished (a) 124 (b) 457 (c) 689?
6. “Goanna” was the nickname of which Australian media chief?
7. TV station Channel One in which country did not broadcast the 2017 Eurovision Song Contest because its contestant was barred from the host country Ukraine?
8. Who was Australia’s prime minister during the first manned moon landing?
9. At which ground was the 1960 Australia-West Indies tied test played?
10. The Parthenon in ancient Greece was dedicated to the worship of which goddess? 11. Which Wests Tigers star recently said he sacrificed up to $700,000 to join the Sydney Roosters because he “wants to be the best”?
12. A formicary is the home of (a) ants (b) bower birds (c) giraffes?
13. The US recently dropped the biggest non-nuclear bomb in history on which country?
14. Skoda, the auto giant, has its headquarters in (a) Czech Republic (b) France (c) Spain?
15. The Greatest: My Own Story was which boxer’s 1975 autobiography?
16. In the recent movie Denial, a libel suit progressed to a controversial trial to establish whether which Second World War event occurred?
17. Which 17th-18th century English scientist compiled the three laws of physics that laid the foundation for classical mechanics?
18. Which Australian author created Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, the Gumnut Babies?
19. Who recently scored his 500th career goal for Barcelona?
20. In which recent reality TV show did Nadia claim that Anthony dumped her “like a hot cake” as soon as the cameras stopped rolling?
21. To compensate for the belief for decades that the Japanese had stolen time from them during their 1919 occupation, which country set its clock back by half an hour in 2015?
22. What is the term for the military aerial tribute to a fallen comrade when one aircraft in formation shears off leaving a symbolic empty place?
23. Which horse twice “won” the 2017 Sydney Cup?
24. US scientists recently claimed that ice plumes shooting into space from which planet led to the rise of life on Earth?
25. The name of which Canadian provincial capital is the same as an Australian state?