TEST YOUR GENERAL KNOWLEDGE
1. The name of which type of email was inspired by a Monty Python sketch?
2. Which Spice Girl was known as Posh Spice?
3. The Van Gogh Museum is in (a) Amsterdam (b) New York (c) Paris?
4. Which Australian shark-punching, triple world champion surfer recently announced his retirement?
5. The distance from the equator to the South Pole is about (a) 10,070km (b) 20,070km (c) 30,070km?
6. Who is the 2018 Australian of the Year?
7. In which recent movie did Chadwick Boseman play T’challa/black Panther, king of the fictional African nation of Wakanda?
8. Rebel With a Cause is the 2017 autobiography of which former Tasmanian senator?
9. Against which country did Australia recently set a T20 International world record chase of 244 runs?
10. Which country is known as “the land of the midnight sun”?
11. Which Australian recently signed a two-year extension to continue coaching the England rugby league team?
12. Nineteenth century fairytale author Hans Christian Andersen was (a) Danish
(b) Dutch (c) Swedish?
13. Beginning with “r”, what is the term for the bending of light when it enters a different medium?
14. Is a bassoon a brass or woodwind instrument?
15. Australia plays which country in a rugby Test in Brisbane tonight?
16. “No one comes near. Look at him working, darning his socks in the night when there’s nobody there. What does he care?” are lyrics from which song?
17. The sister of which former Australian prime minister recently married her same-sex partner?
18. In which 1970s-80s soapie did Cornelia Frances play Sister Scott?
19. A mock Crocodile Dundee trailer was aired during which recent major US sports event?
20. Which ancient Greek mathematician is credited with recording the first proof of the relationship of the sides of a right-angled triangle?
21. What are the given names of Charlotte’s
Web author EB White?
22. Which letter begins the three words of the title of a Shakespeare play?
23. During her maiden speech in the House of Representatives in 2016, who wore a kangaroo skin cloak with an imprint of a cockatoo?
24. Name the only dwarf planet in the asteroid belt.
25. Which French diplomat spearheaded the building of the Suez Canal?
1. Spam. 2. Victoria Beckham. 3. (a) Amsterdam. 4. Mick Fanning. 5. (a) 10,070km. 6. Michelle Simmons. 7. Black Panther. 8. Jacqui Lambie. 9. New Zealand.
10. Norway. 11. Wayne Bennett. 12. (a) Danish. 13. Refraction. 14. Woodwind instrument. 15. Ireland. 16. Eleanor Rigby.
17. Tony Abbott. (Christine Forster). 18. The Young Doctors. 19. Super Bowl. 20. Pythagoras. 21. Elwyn Brooks. 22. L.( Love’s Labour’s Lost). 23. Linda Burney. 24. Ceres.
25. Ferdinand de Lesseps.