GET THAT SUMMER LOOK
LIGHT AND UNFUSSY FABRICS, COUPLED WITH SIMPLE DECOR, CREATE A SENSE OF CALM IN WARM WEATHER
This is the time of year to kick back and take things easy and we all want to feel at ease around our home. In Australia we are all about the sun, the beach and water sports and keeping everything to a bare minimum. The essence of these holidays can be around you all year if you put your mind to it in your decorating. Summer is about light and unfussy fabrics, simple decor and a sense of calm. Here’s how you can apply this to your interiors:
1. Keep your furniture and walls in the white and neutral palate. Don’t put white on its own as this can give an almost clinical feel. Instead, mix up to three-to-four shades of neutrals in sand and bone colours to give layers to your colour scheme.
2. Have the fabrics on your furniture in drills, canvases and soft-brushed cotton and linen.
3. Ensure the style of furniture isn’t too structured and has rounded corners to the arms to give a more casual feel for lounging. To seat extra guests have large-sized floor cushions on hand (at least 60cm).
4. If you don’t have polished boards, introduce blonde timbers such as teak, oak and whitewashed stains in your cabinets, shelving and lamp bases.
5. You don’t have to go with bold navy stripes on your cushions as this can make a room look at bit “try-hard beachy”. Instead go for a few blocks of colours and patterns as well mix up the styles to create a casualness in the area.
6. Arrange lots of pictures in white and natural timber frames of holidays and scenery to remind you of family and friends and all the good times.
7. With cabinetry, choose only half of the units to have doors as you want to see the books and items on display. This creates a feeling that everything is accessible and not too precious.
SHOP THE LOOK: Main image – Benji Sofa and homewares from ozdesignfurniture.com.au; Inset – Duck Egg blue linen bedhead ($349) from lavenderhillinteriors.com.au. More advice at lifestyle.com.au.