TEST YOUR GENERAL KNOWLEDGE
1. An official portrait of which former prime minister was unveiled in Parliament House, Canberra, last year?
2. Ryanair, the low-cost airline, has its headquarters in (a) England (b) Ireland (c) Scotland?
3. Which leg does Treasure Island character
Long John Silver have missing?
4. Is the distance around an Olympic athletics track or velodrome longer?
5. Which iconic Sydney Harbour building celebrated its 45th anniversary last year?
6. Which Sydney transport and business hub was previously known as Semi-circular Quay?
7. Last year, Singapore Airlines launched the world’s longest commercial flight from Newark (New Jersey) to which country?
8. A kissing gourami is a (a) fish (b) giraffe (c) gorilla?
9. How many Formula One Grand Prix races will be held this year (a) 11 (b) 21 (c) 31?
10. Last year, which former prime minister described Tony Abbott and Kevin Rudd as “miserable ghosts”?
11. Swiss bank UBS reported in 2018 that two new billionaires per week were emerging in (a) China (b) Ethiopia (c) Fiji?
12. The Swedish Academy announced that the 2018 and 2019 Nobel Prize in which field will be announced at the end of this year?
13. Elon Musk and his company Tesla agreed to pay how much for allegedly duping investors about a proposed buyout of the company (a) $10 million (b) $20 million (c) $40 million?
14. Coopers Stadium is in which state capital? 15. The most common language (93.4 per cent) in the US territory Puerto Rico is (a) English (b) French (c) Spanish?
16. Last year, which Australian billionaire businessman revealed that he did not consume a drink in 2018 after years of battling alcohol addiction?
17. Name the only one of the Great Lakes wholly within the United States.
18. Who played Ally Campana-main, a nightclub singer-songwriter, in the 2018 movie A Star is Born?
19. Last year, which horse won its fourth consecutive Cox Plate?
20. According to legend, St Mary’s Church, Edwinstowe, set in Sherwood Forest, England, was the scene of the marriage of which folk hero and his bride?
21. In 2018, the daughter of which Australian former test rugby league forward made her debut for the Australian Diamonds?
22. Name Australia’s largest gold mine.
1. Julia Gillard. 2. (b) Ireland. 3. Left.
4. Athletics track. 5. Sydney Opera House. 6. Circular Quay. 7. Singapore. 8. (a) fish.
9. (b) 21. 10. Malcolm Turnbull. 11. (a) China. 12. Literature. 13. (c) $40 million. 14. Adelaide. 15. (c) Spanish. 16. James Packer. 17. Lake Michigan. 18. Lady Gaga. 19. Winx. 20. Robin Hood, Maid Marian. 21. Steve Price (Jamie-lee Price). 22. Boddington Gold Mine (WA).