TEST YOUR GENERAL KNOWLEDGE
1. The Ghan railway service began operating in (a) 1929 (b) 1949 (c) 1969?
2. The Breakers, a National Basketball League team, are based in which country?
3. Is a sousaphone a brass or string instrument?
4. The first mobile telephone call from hand-held subscriber equipment was made in (a) 1973 (b) 1983 (c) 1993?
5. A well-known saying of TV character
Bart Simpson is “Eat my… (a) shirts (b) shoes (c) shorts?
6. Which best-selling British author was the sole screenwriter of the 2018 movie Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald?
7. Last year, which Australian won her seventh women’s world surfing championship?
8. In which TV show did four formerly married women live in the same house while dating coach Matthew Hussey helped them find a new partner?
9. Last year, who did Kevin Rudd say campaigned and won the national ALP presidency after leaving parliament because he was suffering PRDS (Political Relevance Deprivation Syndrome)?
10. Which playing card is known as “the suicide king” because earlier versions of it appeared to depict the king stabbing himself in the head with a sword?
11. Every NRL match of Round 9 in the 2019 season will be played at which ground?
12. Last year, which Australian bank agreed to pay $700 million and legal costs after admitting to breaching anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism laws?
13. Jamaica participated in the Winter Olympics for the first time in (a) 1988 (b) 1998 (c) 2008?
14. Last year, which former federal opposition leader did Scott Morrison say “has degenerated into a pretty sad and pathetic joke”?
15. The name of which national capital is often abbreviated as KL?
16. “If you wanna be my lover, you have got to give. Taking is too easy but that’s the way it is,” are lyrics from which song?
17. Last year, which jockey rode his third Melbourne Cup winner?
18. Boy George and Delta Goodrem were judges on which 2018 TV talent show?
19. Wood Wood is in which Australian state/territory?
20. Which biblical figure dreamt of a ladder connecting heaven and earth?
21. What is the term for the depiction of the sun on the flag of Argentina?
22. Who won the 1967 Eurovision Song Contest with Puppet on a String?
1. (a) 1929. 2. New Zealand. 3. Brass instrument. 4. (a) 1973. 5. (c) shorts. 6. JK Rowling. 7. Stephanie Gilmore. 8. Single Wives. 9. Wayne Swan. 10. King of Hearts.
11. Suncorp Stadium. 12. Commonwealth Bank. 13. (a) 1988. 14. Mark Latham.
15. Kuala Lumpur. 16. Wannabe. 17. Kerrin Mcevoy. 18. The Voice Australia. 19. Victoria.
20. Jacob. 21. Sun of May. 22. Sandie Shaw.