TEST YOUR GENERAL KNOWLEDGE
1. Which former Australian of the Year was recently named chairwoman of the ABC?
2. Bill Shorten is older than Scott Morrison by (a) one year and one day (b) two years and two days (c) three years and three days?
3. In which year was volleyball first contested at the Olympics (a) 1964 (b) 1984 (c) 2004?
4. Which “day” is named because of the practice of giving gratuities or Christmas boxes to servants?
5. Jakarta is on which island?
6. Which number is regarded as unlucky because Judas was maybe the last person to arrive at the Last Supper?
7. Torres Strait links which two seas?
8. Which golf major is being played this weekend?
9. A bull and which other animal appear in Picasso’s famous painting Guernica?
10. “Gonna make a jailbreak and I’m lookin’ towards the sky,” are lyrics from which song?
11. Who did Paul Gallen recently send to the canvas face-first with a second-round knock-out in a grudge boxing match?
12. Who played Frodo Baggins in the Lord of the Rings movies?
13. Why do some coins have milled edges?
14. The 2019 Tour de France will begin in
(a) Belgium (b) Russia (c) Spain?
15. Which paper size was so called because when it was first produced a fool’s cap was watermarked on it?
16. Which pop princess recently became the first in over 50 years to have the top three places on the US singles chart?
17. The letters OPEC, the international organisation, stand for what?
18. Tennis Australia recently announced that which player was deliberately trying to harm the Davis Cup team and would not be considered for a recall?
19. Which European country’s flag is a vertical tricolour of green, white and orange?
20. Which James Bond movie has the name of a species of duck?
21. Which Australian monthly magazine promotes itself as “the surfers’ bible”?
22. Who is the highest ranked female in line of succession to the British throne?
23. A periorbital haematoma is commonly known by which term?
1. Ita Buttrose. 2. (a) one year and one day.
3. (a) 1964. (Tokyo). 4. Boxing Day. 5. Java.
6. 13. 7. Arafura Sea, Coral Sea. 8. US Open.
9. Horse. 10. Jailbreak. 11. John Hopoate.
12. Elijah Wood. 13. To prevent the metal being clipped or filed. 14. (a) Belgium.
15. Foolscap. 16. Ariana Grande.
17. Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries. 18. Bernard Tomic.
19. Ireland. 20. Goldeneye. 21. Tracks.
22. Princess Charlotte. 23. Black eye.