TEST YOUR GENERAL KNOWLEDGE
1. Most of the world’s population lives in which continent?
2. Which major international cycling race begins this weekend?
3. A person with the collywobbles has a pain in the (a) legs (b) neck (c) stomach?
4. In 1989, which event caused the deaths of 13 people in Newcastle?
5. Which “test” is the non-scientific media term used to gauge public opinion?
6. NASA recently announced the demise of the space rover Opportunity after 15 years of exploration on which planet?
7. Which Finnish driver won the 2019 Australian Grand Prix?
8. Which city’s subway has the most (472) stations?
9. In which US state was the 19th century boom in the citrus industry dubbed “the second gold rush”?
10. Dying recently at the age of 85 was Lee Radziwell, older sister of which former US First Lady?
11. Shane Billings, the husband of Aria-winning singer-songwriter Amy Shark, is an accountant with which NRL club?
12. The 14th-15th century Hundred Years War between England and France lasted how many years (a) 100 (b) 116 (b) 156?
13. A hambone is an unofficial term for how many consecutive tenpin bowling strikes (a) four (b) six (c) eight?
14. Are the Maldives part of Africa or Asia?
15. Is the population of the Northern Territory more than one million?
16. Which of Australia’s eight capital cities is highest above sea level?
17. Which New Zealand Test cricket umpire was noted for the “crooked finger of doom”?
18. Hahndorf is in which Australian state/territory?
19. Malcolm Turnbull’s middle name is the same as the surname of which former Queensland premier?
20. In 1970, which three astronauts were awarded a Gold Logie?
21. From 1976 to 2018, the High Court of Australia also acted as which other country’s High Court?
22. The Perth Zoo hosted which major international sports event in 1909?
23. Which firearm appears on the coat of arms of East Timor?
24. What is the term for both the motorbike and its rider who leads competitors in the keirin cycling event?
1. Asia. 2. Tour de France. 3. (c) stomach. 4. Earthquake. 5. Pub test. 6. Mars. 7. Valtteri Bottas. 8. New York. 9. California. 10. Jackie Kennedy. 11. Gold Coast Titans. 12. (b) 116 years. 13. (a) four. 14. Asia. 15. No. 16. Canberra. 17. Billy Bowden. 18. South Australia. 19. Anna Bligh. 20. Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins. 21. Nauru.
22. Australian Open Tennis Championships (Australasian Championships). 23. AK-47 assault rifle. 24. Derny.