TEST YOUR GENERAL KNOWLEDGE
1. The name “September” comes from the Latin word for (a) five (b) seven (c) nine?
2. Did the Concorde aircraft fly faster or slower than the speed of sound?
3. In which year did an Australian win the Tour de France (a) 1991 (b) 2001 (c) 2011? 4. Name Australia’s “laughing bird”. 5. Antonio Guterres, Secretary-general of the United Nations, is (a) Brazilian (b) Canadian (c) Portuguese?
6. Who did Jon Snow fatally stab in the final episode of Game of Thrones?
7. Who recently resigned as British prime minister?
8. Which former Australian Test cricket captain has the nickname “Smudge”?
9. “What would you think if I sang out of tune? Would you stand up and walk out on me?” are lyrics from which song?
10. In the recent movie Poms, who played Martha, a woman who moves into a retirement community and starts a cheerleading squad with her fellow residents?
11. “Geno” was the nickname of which former Broncos Test star?
12. Is etymology the study of insects or words?
13. On a standard keyboard, which letter is between Q and E?
14. Soccer star Lionel Messi is (a) Argentinian (b) Brazilian (c) English?
15. Herman Wouk, author of the bestseller and Pulitzer Prize-winning novel The Caine Mutiny, recently died at the age of (a) 100 (b) 103 (c) 106?
16. Ulladulla is in which Australian state/territory?
17. After two weekends, which movie recently became the fastest to pass
$US2 billion in box office takings?
18. The decathlon is held over how many consecutive days?
19. Australia’s most-recently issued $50 note has which word incorrectly spelt?
20. Who is the federal minister for the environment?
21. In 2006, the daughter of which noted English poet apologised for his 1937 poem in which he called for bombs to fall on the town of Slough?
22. Which country has the longest land border (6846km) with Russia?
23. Which musical instrument appears on Guinness Brewery products?
24. Buried in a graveyard in Cloncurry, Queensland, is which noted writer, a great-great-aunt of Scott Morrison?
25. During “the greatest 45 minutes ever in sport” in 1935, which US athlete equalled the world record for 100 yards and set new world records for the long jump, 220 yards and 220-yard low hurdles?