Mackay and Whitsundays Wedding Guide


You’ve got to choose: Civil ceremony or a religious ceremony?

- For more informatio­n on the legalities of marriage in Queensland visit

QUEENSLAND residents can choose from two types of wedding ceremonies, either a civil ceremony or a religious ceremony.

A civil ceremony can be held at a location of your choice with a registered civil marriage celebrant.

A religious ceremony can be held at a church with a registered religious marriage celebrant or an independen­t church with a registered civil religious marriage celebrant.

Couples need to complete and lodge a notice of intended marriage applicatio­n form with their marriage celebrant at least one month before the big day.

After the ceremony your celebrant is responsibl­e for registerin­g your marriage on your behalf.

While same-sex couples can’t currently enter into marriage in Australia, they can enter into civil partnershi­ps in Queensland and registrati­on rules are similar to civil marriages.

 ??  ??

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia