Go bananas for brunch
LOOKING for an easy weekend breakfast or brunch that's totally indulgent? You can’t go past this sweet and gooey treat.
Caramel custard waffle bake with bananas
PREP: 20 minutes
COOK: 45 minutes
300ml pouring cream
1 tsp vanilla extract 5 eggs
3 medium ripe bananas, halved lengthways and crossways
200g pkt frozen waffles, thawed
240g brown sugar, plus extra 2 tbsp
1. Preheat oven to 150C/130C fan-forced. Lightly grease a 1.5L (6 cup) ovenproof baking dish with spray oil.
2. Place the brown sugar and 185ml (3⁄4 cup) of the cream in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil over mediumhigh heat then simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Lightly beat eggs in a bowl. Pour in milk, vanilla and remaining cream. Whisk until combined. Reserve 80ml (1⁄3 cup) of the caramel sauce. Gradually pour the remaining caramel sauce into the egg mixture and stir until combined.
4. Place prepared dish in a deep ovenproof baking tray and carefully strain the caramel custard over the base of the dish. Carefully lay the waffles, overlapping, on top of the caramel mixture. Fill baking tray with boiling water so it comes halfway up the side of the dish. Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the custard is just set and waffles are crisp.
5. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the cut sides of the banana with the extra brown sugar. Cook, cut-side down, for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned and caramelised. (Do not overcook or the banana will go soft.)
6. Divide the waffles, caramel custard and caramelised bananas among serving bowls. Top with vanilla ice-cream and a dusting of icing sugar, if you like. Drizzle with the reserved caramel sauce to serve.