Fire restrictions remain in place until month’s end
THE current fire danger period will end at 1am next Tuesday.
Despite the end of restrictions in the early hours of May 1, authorities are asking people to remain vigilant after an unusually long fire season.
This year’s fire danger period was one of the longest in recent history according to CFA District 24 acting operations manager Adrian Gutsche.
“By May 1 it will have been 155 days long after it was declared on November 27 last year,” he said.
“Our boss Paul King has kept a bit of a record over the past 20-odd years and on average it usually runs about 126 days.
“That means this year is about 30 days longer than normal.
“When the fire danger period is declared, May 1 is usually listed as the end date, but I’m not sure how many times it would have gone until then.
“Given the dryness and no autumn break of rain in late March or early April it will just run out.”
Mr Adrian Gutsche said fires earlier this month, one in remote bushland behind Mt Buffalo and another at Thoona in neighbouring District 23, were evidence that conditions remain dry.
Landowners looking to burn-off once restrictions are lifted should remember to check conditions and register their activities with the appropriate authorities.
“Just because the fire danger period’s over doesn’t mean a fire isn’t going to get away,” Mr Gutsche said.
“People need to manage the risk of lighting a fire in the open and that means monitoring it and having water nearby.”
Local brigades have grown increasingly frustrated at being called out when people have failed to register their burn-offs.
To ensure that the fire services are aware of your planned burn you can contact the Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority on 1800 668 511 or email email@example.com.