War­riors claimed their sec­ond Up­per Great South­ern Hockey As­so­ci­a­tion men’s A-grade pre­mier­ship in as many years in a 4-3 win over Riffs last Satur­day night.

Narrogin Observer - - Front Page - Pic­ture: Michael Traill

War­riors have claimed back-to­back Up­per Great South­ern Hockey As­so­ci­a­tion men’s A-grade pre­mier­ships after a tight 4-3 win over Riffs.

It was a re­play of the semi­fi­nal match in this year’s com­pe­ti­tion, mi­nor pre­miers Riffs fac­ing last year’s premier War­riors.

Riffs con­trolled the ball for much of the play in the early stages of the match, de­fend­ing well and forc­ing War­riors to re­tain pos­ses­sion in their back half.

Riffs, how­ever, couldn’t con­vert in the sev­enth and 10th min­utes from penalty cor­ners.

War­riors’ first gen­uine at­tempt in at­tack came in the 15th minute, as Re­gan Blyth drove the ball for­ward, deep into their at­tack­ing cir­cle, but was un­suc­cess­ful.

Two min­utes later, how­ever, Blyth had an­other op­por­tu­nity, con­vert­ing the War­riors’ first goal from a penalty shot.

Shel­don Blight quickly replied for Riffs to level the scores.

From there the game opened up, but nei­ther side could find the net, set­tling for a 1-1 game at half-time.

Riffs looked to score im­me­di­ately from the sec­ond half push back, but the solid at­tempt was de­nied by the War­riors’ keeper Ethan For­rest. War­riors found a goal in the fifth minute, as they worked the ball up the wing then cross­ing into the at­tack­ing cir­cle be­fore a su­perb fin­ish by Sam Rowe, giv­ing them a 2-1 lead.

Riffs, how­ever, replied in­stantly as Rhys Ang­win threaded his way through War­riors’ de­fence, draw­ing out the keeper then sprint­ing across the face of goal to beat For­rest. Tied up again, the match was played end to end, be­fore a penalty cor­ner was awarded to War­riors in the 15th minute, and con­verted by Nick Cor­ner. Three min­utes later, Cor­ner struck again, break­ing the goal-for-goal trend of the match. A goal to Wade Ang­win in the dy­ing min­utes gave Riffs some hope. But they never found a fourth to send the match into over time. War­riors claimed the pre­mier­ship, back-to-back, with a 4-3 vic­tory. Cor­ner was named MVP.

Pho­tos avail­able at west­

Wade Ang­win scores his sec­ond half goal in the men’s A-grade.

Brock Fran­cis steps through traf­fic.

Pic­tures: Michael Traill

2018 UGSHA pre­miers War­riors.

Re­gan Blyth with the open­ing goal of the men’s A-grade match.

Tom Bairstow looks for op­tions.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.