THE LAST HUR­RAH

New Zealand Classic Car - - Feature -

In 1967, the F102 re­placed the Auto Union 1000, and was the last purely DKW model. Mercedes then sold the com­pany to Volk­swa­gen, and this model be­came the first to wear the Audi badge. In 1969, VW merged the DKW brand with NSU. With that came the new Wankel ro­tary en­gine and the NSU Ro 80. Even­tu­ally, Volk­swa­gen re­tired the NSU brand­ing in favour of Audi. Even though the DKW brand­ing had been miss­ing for a few years by this stage, this was the fi­nal cut in the lin­eage, and DKW passed into mo­tor­ing his­tory.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.