Anthrax incident at Swan Hill
LAST month, Agriculture Victoria veterinarians responded to the positive property near Swan Hill.
Victoria’s chief veterinary officer, Dr Charles Milne, said the affected property had now been quarantined and appropriate biosecurity protections were in place.
“We are urging local farmers to continue to be vigilant and report any symptoms in livestock that may be related to anthrax,” Dr Milne said.
Anthrax is caused by a naturally occurring bacteria, Bacillus anthracis, which is known to exist in soil in parts of Northern Victoria.
Dr Milne said it was not unusual for incidents of anthrax to be detected in cattle and sheep in the region, with several farms in the Swan Hill area affected in March 2017 and a property in March this year.
Dr Milne said all sheep on the affected property had now been vaccinated and appropriate disposals were taking place.
Current evidence suggests that one property has been affected.
Agriculture Victoria will continue to work with nearby farmers, veterinarians and the local community to monitor the situation.
Anthrax is not a concern for the public:
Anthrax does not spread rapidly and is not contagious.
* There is no general public health risk associated with anthrax.
people who handle dead livestock such as farmers, veterinarians and knackery workers.
There is no impact on local produce or food safety.
Farmers are urged to report any cases of unexplained livestock death to the 24hour Emergency Animal Disease Watch Hotline on 1800 675 888, their local vet or to Agriculture Victoria animal health staff.