North East Tourist News
Jump back in time at the Jindera Pioneer Museum
THE Jindera Pioneer Museum, dubbed one of the best known in NSW, recreated the material culture of the early German settlers, using only local relics.
Take a dive back in history and learn about the first German settlers who arrived in the Jindera area in 1867, having trekked from Adelaide in horse drawn wagons.
Prior to their arrival, a small wattle and daub hut was built just off the main track through town.
This hut still stands at the site of the Jindera Pioneer Museum, and is probably the oldest remaining cottage or house in the Albury District.
In 1874 Johann Rosler and Peter Wagner built a store and three room residence on this same site; it became known as Wagner’s Store.
Formed in 1967, the Jindera Pioneer Museum and Historical Society purchased the evolved Wagner’s Store, the residence, and the grounds around the wattle and daub hut.
The Jindera Museum consists of several historic buildings centred around the store, set within a sprawling, beautiful two acres of grounds that now feature not only the cottage, but an authentically furnished slab hut, a remarkable and extensive collection of farm implements, equipment and forge, an historic post office, a gallery and several other outhouses and structures.
The Wagner’s Store and Residence was restored and painstakingly furnished so as to recreate its 19th-century appearance.
The shop building is pre-eminent in NSW for its original shop fittings and furnishings and is stocked with authentic goods of the 19th century.
The living area at the rear is also furnished in its original style. Within this amazing 16 room complex is another beautiful display gallery.
The museum is also a Visitor Information Centre, providing regional maps and local information and a tea room which is now open until 4pm on Sundays.
For a virtual tour of one of the Museum rooms, visit http://www.jinderamuseum.com.au/.