North & South
Mexican Black Bean Soup
Imagine a delicious bean burrito filling as a bowl of stupendous soup! This recipe makes a big pot, bursting with colour and flavour. Perfect for chilly days, or when you need a little comfort food.
• ¼ cup water
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or
• 2 carrots, peeled and diced
• 1 whole red capsicum, diced
• 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
• 1 400g tin whole kernel corn
• 2 400g cans black beans, drained
• 1 jalapeño, deseeded and finely
• 3 cups vegetable stock
• 4 Tbsp lime juice
• 1-2 tsp ground cumin
• 1-2 tsp ground coriander
• 1-2 tsp paprika
• ½-1 tsp chilli powder
(or less, to taste)
• Salt and pepper
• ½ avocado, cut into slices, and fresh coriander (optional) to garnish
1. Heat the water in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until softened, then add the carrot and capsicum and cook another five minutes. Add the tomatoes, corn, beans, jalapeño, vegetable stock and lime juice.
2. Add one teaspoon each of the ground cumin, coriander and paprika and half a teaspoon of the chilli powder. Mix well, then bring to the boil and simmer gently for 30 minutes, adding more water if necessary. You want it to look soupy, not a burrito filling!
3. Taste the sauce for seasoning and add the rest of the spices to taste if needed, along with salt and pepper. Serve with crusty bread, or corn chips, garnished with a few slices of avocado and fresh coriander.