Vin­cent Ve­lo­cette Rally

Vin­cent Ve­lo­cette Rally 1 May, 2016 – Mit­tagong, NSW

Old Bike Australasia - - CONTENTS - Re­port Alyn Vin­cent Photos Jo Wen­den, Den­nis Quin­lan

Yet an­other suc­cess­ful rally at Moss Vale de­spite the weather try­ing to make life dif­fi­cult. There was a good turn out again al­though num­bers were down on last year due to ill­ness, bikes bro­ken etc. It was nice to see Peter Goode up and about but not rid­ing, af­ter his back op­er­a­tion. Once again the Wen­dens did a great job with break­fast, mak­ing sure we all started the day with a full belly. Richard Lloyd ar­rived on his B Rapide from Moruya, his long­est ride and first Vin­cent rally. He had an en­ter­tain­ing ride up when his clutch started to slip in Kan­ga­roo Val­ley. He had no choice but to have a play with it and it per­formed well for the rest of the week­end. 14 Ve­lo­cettes and 7 Vin­cents made up the field for 2106. Af­ter a hearty meal and a few drinks in the club it was a fairly early night to pre­pare for the Satur­day ride. The ride was or­gan­ised by Rod Moore but due to fam­ily com­mit­ments he couldn’t at­tend. We headed to Bur­rawang for morn­ing tea and most of us had a few calo­ries and choles­terol plus tea/cof­fee in most en­joy­able sur­round­ings. It was then off to Bargo via two routes and every­one even­tu­ally made it, al­though some took a third route and others ex­pe­ri­enced mild me­chan­i­cal is­sues. Sadly one Ve­lo­cette ended up on the re­cov­ery ve­hi­cle due to a flat tyre. The weather was now al­most per­fect with some omi­nous clouds qui­etly mov­ing by and the sun weakly warm­ing us. Af­ter a lazy lunch we all headed back to Moss Vale via the long or short route and all agreed that Rod had done an ex­cel­lent job on plan­ning the rides. I noted there were sev­eral Series Bs in at­ten­dance which was very pleas­ing. Jim Alexan­der chose (sen­si­bly) to only do the ride to Bur­rawang and back to Moss Vale on his 1928 Vin­cent HRD. Back at rally HQ it was time to have an af­ter­noon drink then some of us show­ered and changed for din­ner. The food was prob­a­bly bet­ter than last year and the plates were left clean. As usual there were no prizes and only a cou­ple of short speeches then every­one slowly made it back to the camp­ing ground. Sun­day morn­ing was wet and dis­mal. An early vis­i­tor to the Rally HQ was Tony Hat­ton, who rode from his home nearby on his wife Hay­ley’s MZ 125 which he had re­stored. Barry Gra­ham also brought along his 680 Brough on the Sun­day. Richard Lloyd was about to leave when a few of us noted how small his air fil­ters were. This, we ad­vised, would lead to a rich mix­ture, re­duced power and a very wet ex­haust. On the way home he re­moved them and in­stantly no­ticed an im­prove­ment in throt­tle re­sponse and power. He also no­ticed that when he ar­rived home his ex­haust pipe was dry for the first time. Amaz­ing what you can learn at a rally!

The Ve­lo­cette camp takes on sus­te­nance be­fore the Satur­day ride. Barry Gra­ham with his 680 Brough.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.