ADVENTURE SCHOOL: EBIKES EXPOSED
emountain Bikes in particular are increasingly popular among adventure seekers. Here are some of the best reasons we think you need to consider buying an electric bike – whether it’s for use on the roads or a mountain bike:
1. If you love cycling and you love admiring amazing views, but hate the thought of having to get to the top of the mountain to enjoy them – an electric bike is ideal. You can cycle as much as you like on the flflflflflat roads: and then when you it the mountain- side, click the on switch and away you go with minimal effort!
2. Its’ unfortunate that injury or health reasons might prevent you from riding a bike. If you don’t want to have to give up cycling because your health is not the best, an e- bike is the perfect option. If you have a knee injury or suffer from blood pressure problems that might affect your heart rate, you can take it easy with the cycling while still enjoying the health benefifififififififits of a ride.
3. There’s nothing worse than heading off to work of amorning, or home in the afternoon, and you’re stuck in peak hour traffifififififific. You can waste minutes – sometimes even hours – in traffifififififififific jams. But if you have an electric bicycle, you can avoid all of that and still get to work on time! They are faster than riding there yourself, you can go off- road when needed to avoid any traffifififififififific issues, and you will still arrive at work feeling and looking amazing ( no sweat dripping everywhere!).
4. If you want to cycle to work but the threat of rain hangs overhead, you can ride knowing that with the help of the electrics, you are less likely to get wet! Enjoy the slow pace of a cycle until the weather takes a turn for the worse, then hit your ON switch and off you go.
5. You’re helping to save the environment. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the motor on an ebike emits 40 times LESS CO2 emissions than a car.
6. They help savemoney. Although you might have to pay a fair whack up front ( though its nothing compared to the price of a new car!), you’ll easily earn that money back by saving on petrol.
7. Contrary to what some people believe, ebikes are still great exercise. You still have to use the pedals, it just makes the trip a bit easier for you. You can cycle long distances, much further than you would on a regular bike, and you can turn off the motor at any time.
The only problem with ebikes is that people in Australia aren’t really sure of what the laws are around the country. In 2012, the standards set by the Australian Design Rules was changed to bring ebikes in line with Europe, increasing the output to up to 250 watts, but keeping the maximum speed at 25 kilometres per hour.
So that we could help you make a more informed decision, we spoke with ebike experts from around the country to get an update on the different laws for each Australian state, and where ebikes and their popularity seems to be headed ( into the future) for that region.