Outer Edge - - Contents -

How far will a SEB take me? Your range is de­pen­dent on a range of fac­tors but an av­er­age of 30 to 40km’s is a good fig­ure to base your trip on. The bat­tery size is the main fac­tor, the big­ger the bat­tery, the more juice and fur­ther it will take you. Some of our bikes will take you 50km’s or more. Your weight also plays a part and the type of ter­rain you are rid­ing. Here is a quick trip guide based on bat­tery Amp Hours. 9AH > 30 to 40km 10AH > 35 to 45km 12AH > 50 to 65km 14Ah > 65 to 85 17Ah > 85 to 115km It is im­por­tant to em­pha­sise that th­ese dis­tances are based on pedal as­sis­tance, not sit­ting on your butt and let­ting the SEB do all the work. Ob­vi­ously if you only used the SEB to as­sist you on hills, and you only had a few hills on your jour­ney, you could ride many km.

Isn’t it lazy to ride an elec­tric bike?

Most def­i­nitely not! Rid­ing a SEB will get your heart rate up with­out a doubt. You will be able to travel about five times the dis­tance of your av­er­age pedal pow­ered ride so you will more than likely do the same if not more ex­er­cise on a SEB than a nor­mal bike. You will get as hard a work­out as you want, the pedal as­sis­tance is re­ally just to take out the hardest parts of your jour­ney, we don’t sug­gest you let the mo­tor do all the work. Think of it like us­ing an ex­er­cise bike at the gym, with a con­stant ex­er­tion or ca­dence. You will get into shape with­out the need for gut wrench­ing ex­er­tion and all the as­so­ci­ated wear and tear on your joints. Just start us­ing a SEB bike for all, or at least some, of your com­mut­ing.

What is throt­tle mode? Elec­tric Bi­cy­cles come in a few dif­fer­ent flavours when it comes to con­trol­ling the power of the mo­tor. The most sim­ple is the Throt­tle only mode. Op­er­at­ing just like a mo­tor­cy­cle, a throt­tle can be found ei­ther on the left or right side of the han­dle­bars and is spring loaded so when it is not used the de­fault po­si­tion is off. Some throt­tles are full grip twist ones, oth­ers use a half grip and our favourite is the dis­creet thumb throt­tle. Very easy po­si­tion to ac­ti­vate. More of­ten than not the throt­tle ac­ti­vates the mo­tor whether or not you are ped­alling. This style of rid­ing is not pos­si­ble in Europe as elec­tric bi­cy­cles are de­fined al­ways as “elec­tric as­sist”, you have to be ped­alling at all times to get the ben­e­fit of power as­sis­tance. Cur­rently in Aus­tralia we don’t have that re­quire­ment so it’s pos­si­bly to have throt­tle bike that could be rid­den with­out ped­alling. We don’t en­cour­age that as the whole point of Ebikes in our mind is to get sig­nif­i­cant health ben­e­fits. Your range from your bat­tery will also be re­duced.

What is pedal as­sist mode?

In this setup there is no throt­tle on the bike, the only way to get as­sis­tance is to pedal. Most bikes with this setup will have a con­troller on the han­dle­bars that al­lows the rider to ad­just how much power you re­ceive. Ei­ther three lev­els of as­sis­tance, just like Low - Medium - High or up six lev­els. This way you can fo­cus on rid­ing and let the bike as­sist you au­to­mat­i­cally. It also saves con­sid­er­able wrist strain as hold­ing a throt­tle over a long pe­riod of time can be hard work on your hand. Some bikes like the ezee range can be used in Pedal As­sist mode but the throt­tle is al­ways on, ir­re­spec­tive of ped­alling.

LAW - NEW SOUTH WALES- In New South Wales, mo­tor as­sisted pedal cy­cles with elec­tric en­gines do not need to be reg­is­tered if the max­i­mum en­gine out­put is less than 250 watts. If you do have a cy­cle that is ex­empt from reg­is­tra­tion, the law states that you must fol­low the same rules as for cy­cles with­out mo­tors. You don’t need a li­cence or reg­is­tra­tion to ride a “ped­elec e-bike”. Any elec­tric bike with a power source of 250 Watts or less is clas­si­fied as a stan­dard bi­cy­cle in NSW. So jump­ing on a SEB and head­ing off into the sun­set is so easy. There is no need to deal with reg­is­tra­tion, park­ing or spe­cial li­censes.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.