Reminder for campfire safety
CAMPERS across the North East are being reminded to follow the rules when it comes to campfire safety.
As of early last week Forest Fire Management Victoria (FFMVic) assistant chief fire officer, Jarrod Hayse said there had already been 17 fires on public land across the Hume region this spring.
Approximately six of the 17 were deemed to be caused by campfire negligence.
Among them was a suspected unattended campfire caused a three-hectare fire in Kialla, luckily fire crews were able to contain the fire before it spread.
“Unattended campfires can lead to bushfires, placing the community and firefighters at risk, as well as potentially damaging the environment,” Mr Hayse said.
Authorised officers have and will continue to patrol parks and forests over the school holiday period to ensure campers are doing the right thing and to educate visitors on campfire safety.
“We’re also asking people to be vigilant, and if they see a campfire that doesn’t look right or is unattended, call 000,” Mr Hayse said.
On non-total fire ban day people are asked to use a purpose-built fireplace or to light their campfire in a trench at least 30cm deep.
Campfires are never to be left alight or unattended and should be extinguished using water not soil.