Ovens & Murray Advertiser

Your tax file number (TFN) and paying tax


YOUR tax file number (TFN) is a unique number that helps you manage your tax and super.

If you need a TFN, or you don’t know what your TFN is, contact the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

Everyone gets their own TFN and it’s yours for life.

If you work or receive Centrelink benefits you will need a TFN.

When you start a job you need to give your employer your TFN by completing a ‘Tax file number declaratio­n’ form - your employer will provide this form to you.

Your employer will usually deduct tax from each pay and send it to the ATO on your behalf.

This is called Pay As You Go (PAYG) withholdin­g. You can see the amount of tax that has been taken out by your employer on your pay slip.

Your employer will also give you a payment summary at the end of the financial year (30 June) which shows how much you earned and how much tax you paid in that year.

You must submit a tax return to the ATO by 31 October if any tax was taken from your pay or you earned more than $18,200 in a financial year.

If you don’t submit a tax return, you may face a penalty.

After you complete your tax return, the ATO will determine if you will get a tax refund or need to pay a tax bill.

On the Australian Tax Office website, you can check how much tax your employer should be deducting from your pay and find out how to submit your first tax return.

This informatio­n can be found under the Individual­s tab when visiting ato.gov.au.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia