THE Location Rules Applicant’s Handbook is now available on the Australian Community Pharmacy Authority website. The new rules took effect from last week.
The key changes to the Location Rules include:
• increased flexibility to allow pharmacists to relocate out of shopping centres;
• amendments to the requirements for replacing a pharmacy that has relocated out of a shopping centre;
• a reduction in the distance that a proposed new large medical centre pharmacy needs to be from existing pharmacies;
• an increase in the time that a pharmacist must remain in one location prior to relocating - from two to five years; and
• introduction of a new rule that allows pharmacies to relocate between 1km and 1.5km from their existing location.