Loss ends Thun­der fi­nals hope

Pinjarra Murray Times - - WAFL -

REIGN­ING pre­miers Peel Thun­der were un­cer­e­mo­ni­ously dumped from fi­nals con­tention by AFL align­ment ri­vals East Perth with a solid 84-point vic­tory by the Roy­als at Bendigo Bank Sta­dium.

The 16.18 (114) to 4.6 (30) vic­tory placed the Roy­als in the five at the right time of the sea­son and they face Clare­mont at Clare­mont Oval on Sun­day.

A num­ber of West Coast squad mem­bers played im­por­tant roles in the vic­tory in a game that will not be re­mem­bered for its high stan­dards.

Docker Danyle Pearce did not man­age a farewell game for the Dock­ers but tried hard for his WAFL side and is likely to re­tire now.

SUBIACO achieved a rare feat by com­plet­ing the home and away sea­son un­de­feated on Satur­day with a thump­ing 72-point vic­tory over Perth, 17.10 (112) to 6.4 (40).

Subiaco now en­joy a week off as the other four sides in the fi­nals com­pete to chal­lenge the all-con­quer­ing Lions, who only need two more vic­to­ries to se­cure the premier­ship.

Subiaco were never chal­lenged in a game that saw them break away to a 21-point lead at quar­ter­time de­spite a slow start.

The Lions in­creased this to 39 points at the main break as they dom­i­nated pro­ceed­ings through the fa­mil­iar av­enues of their pow­er­house mid­field of Kyal Hors­ley and Josh Deluca. Ruck­man Zac Clarke again con­trolled the tap-outs.

Ben Sokol had an­other ex­cel­lent day, fin­ish­ing with five goals for Subiaco.

The mar­gin had blown out to 50 points by three­quar­ter time and the re­sult was aca­demic, but the Lions took even more con­trol against a Perth side that didn’t cope well with the pres­sure ap­plied by the league lead­ers.

CLARE­MONT waited un­til af­ter the siren to con­firm they will host an elim­i­na­tion fi­nal next week­end against East Perth with a five-point win over Swan Dis­tricts on the week­end.

Trail­ing the Swans most of the day, Tigers cham­pion Jye Bolton man­aged a longdis­tance goal from a mark on the siren to clinch the vic­tory.

The 13.13 (91) to 13.8 (86) win ce­mented fourth spot ahead of the Roy­als, who would have jumped Clare­mont to host the fi­nal at Leed­erville if the Tigers had lost due to su­pe­rior per­cent­age.

The game also saw the end of the ca­reer of Swans de­fender Kirk Ugle, who was chaired off and shown great re­spect by the Swans faith­ful.

Swans came out of the blocks early with three first-quar­ter goals to one, and ex­tended that lead by half-time to three goals.

Clare­mont came back at Swans in the third term to nar­row the gap to just six points at the fi­nal change and were able to throw ev­ery­thing at the Swans in the fi­nal quar­ter to get home in the end.

Tom Lee stepped up in the sec­ond half with a dom­i­nant per­for­mance in at­tack and Swans debu­tant 17-year-old Mitchell Bain kicked one of the goals of the year with a blis­ter­ing run and long goal in the fi­nal term to keep Swans in the con­test.

Alex Manuel had a big day with five goals for the Tigers, while Bray­den No­ble kicked a ca­reer-best four goals, all in the first half for Swans.

SOUTH Fre­man­tle are trav­el­ling very nicely as they enter the fi­nals cam­paign and had lit­tle more than a train­ing run against a East Fre­man­tle to reg­is­ter a mas­sive 113-point vic­tory at East Fre­man­tle Oval on the week­end, 23.11 (149) to just 5.6 (36).

The loss ends coach Rob Wi­ley’s stint at the club and a very dis­ap­point­ing pe­riod for the Sharks, who promised much with an ag­gres­sive re­cruit­ment drive be­fore the sea­son.

The Bull­dogs were dom­i­nant from the out­set de­spite miss­ing some key play­ers through in­jury and enter the fi­nals in very good shape.

SUBIACO con­tin­ued their great form com­ing into the fi­nals and threw ev­ery­thing at league lead­ers East Fre­man­tle in the Mun­della WAWFL Grand Fi­nal but just couldn’t hold them out in a fran­tic last quar­ter to go down by just five points, the fi­nal score 6.5 (41) to 5.6 (36).

East Fre­man­tle kicked two goals for a 13-point lead at quar­ter-time.

A ter­rific sec­ond quar­ter saw six goals kicked for the term, with three goals a piece and a 12-point lead re­tained by the sea­son trend­set­ters, East Fre­man­tle.

Subiaco came back strongly in the third term and scores were level at the fi­nal change, with the scene set for a clas­sic fi­nal term.

The last quar­ter was an ab­so­lute arm wres­tle and the Sharks scored the only goal of the quar­ter at the 13minute mark to snatch the lead and hang on for the fi­nal siren. The game was a fit­ting end to an out­stand­ing sea­son.

Peel Thun­der’s Bran­don Mat­era had eyes only for the ball.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.