Alert after students bitten
Vanessa Schmitt TWO students from Meadow Springs Primary School were treated in hospital for possible snake bites.
Parent Karla Burbidge said a Year 1 student and a Year 4 student are believed to have been bitten by a snake on the school oval just before lunchtime on November 9.
A Department of Education spokeswoman said in both cases no venom was found, therefore snake bites had not been confirmed.
In a letter to parents, principal Jacquie Cooper and Meadow Springs Education Support principal said parents were called immediately.
“A snake expert was also contacted to assess the area,” the letter said.
“As a precaution, students were also asked not to play on the oval at lunch time. Please be assured that Meadow Springs Primary School and Education Support Centre has emergency procedures in place for these types of incidents because of our proximity to snake habitats.
“We have multiple, specific, snake-bite first aid kits available on school grounds.
“All staff and students have received training by St John Ambulance on how to respond to any suspected snake bites.
“We will continue to educate our school community about snakes, and provide prevention and risk management strategies for students.”
In September, Ms Burbidge’s daughter Zoe (12) was also hospitalised with a suspected snake bite.
The Department of Education spokeswoman said the September incident was unconfirmed because no venom was found.
Ms Burbidge said staff at Meadow Springs Primary School were prompt and professional in their response and duty of care, given the situation at the time.
She urged students to be aware of their surroundings.
“Apply pressure immediately if bitten and call an ambulance,” Ms Burbidge said.
Meadow Springs Primary School student Zoe da Silva spent the night at Peel Health Campus after a suspected snake bite.